Saturday, May 12, 2012

Just learned this the hard way and wanted to pass it along.


Need Internet at a depo that's being held in a hotel?


(1) Bring a (long) ethernet cord in case you need a wired connection (which you very well could).


(2) Keep this in mind if you're having trouble getting online: With some hotels, booking a meeting room with Internet access doesn't mean Internet access for the whole room, as you very naturally might except; some give Internet access to only one user in the room, with an additional charge for each user.


This came up in a realtime streaming job I had the other day. When I arrived to set up, the videographer was there setting up too, and he passed over to me the paper from the hotel that listed the Internet network name and password. He was already online and said it worked fine. 


So I set up my equipment and go to connect to the Internet, and I get this "Access denied" message in my browser. To shortcut through all the stress that caused, and the precious time wasted in fixing the problem, during which the agency was breathing down my neck as to why the connection wasn't set up when they wanted, I'll just say it turned out that the reason I couldn't get online was that the videographer was already online. Only one user had been paid for by whomever arranged the room. 


I never would have thought of that! So in case you think like I do, I wanted to pass that along to help shortcut your stress/time in setting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment